Residents from around Tri-Valley sound off about their frustrations with the construction project along the I-580 corridor from Livermore to Dublin. The I-580 corridor project objectives include widening of lanes, fresh asphalt, building retaining walls and adding a High Occupancy Vehicle lane (HOV), according to the Caltrans website.
Patch reader David Bruno told Patch, via email:
Since all of this construction started along highway 580 (both east and westbound) between Livermore and Dublin my car has been assaulted daily by rocks and debris, and now I have a chip in the windshield of my new car along with countless speckled chips in the front end on account of the lack of roadside cleanup. Not to mention that since this construction started I was also involved in a 4 car pile-up on 580 Westbound the morning of April 29, 2013 in which someone slammed into the back of my car while on my way to work. I attribute it to the construction slow down and some drivers not knowing where the pockets of morning traffic will hit.
As if the accident, and the paint chips in the front end of my car weren't enough, I feel that the chip in the windshield was the straw that broke the camel's back, and something should be done because I don't feel that motorists/Alameda county residents should be responsible for all of the fees associated with damages that come from shoddy cleanup and construction from the city/county.
Marcus Wagner of Caltrans says the project has not had an inordinate number of complaints on file.
"At this time we do not have an extreme number of complaints," Wagner said. "We would like to work to rectify any issues, if there are any."
Patch asked readers via Facebook about their thoughts and the overwhelming responses from drivers traveling the corridor is that they believe their cars are getting damaged, most likely due to the debris.
Here is what readers had to say about the debris on the I-580:
- Tony Ippolito Heck yeah, huge crack I my windshield due to it. I make army private pay and can't afford to replace it now and it keeps growing. Happened right off Fallon road exit.
- Lindi McGuiness 3 dings in my windshield so far!
- Alexandria Malloy I was really unhappy to come on one of the short ramps in Livermore, lined with barriers, late at night in the dark, and have a bright, huge, construction light shining full in my face. I'd be amazed if there aren't accidents directly attributable to that.
- Julie Cato I too have issues with debris, but also the short merges and the very thin lanes. I was hit on 7/3. My first accident and I have been driving 25 years. I blame the construction issues. I have been almost hit multiple times recently. Especially when trying to get on and trucks almost run you off the road. With the cement barriers there is no where for you to go. Also the speed limit is currently 55, but no one is there to enforce it. I feel like even the trucks pass me up. On a daily basis, I wish CHP was watching. First street and North Livermore on ramps are the worst!
- Katie Howe Yes! I take the side roads from Dublin to Livermore to avoid it, it's not worth all the damage. Clearly some construction truck had my same idea because last week el charro was so bad that I made an illegal u turn to go back and avoid it. Frustrating there's no accountability for all the damage, I get we need the construction but there should be constant road maintenance as well
- Lori Shepard Ibanez My friend got her windshield broke a couple weeks ago.
- Rami Mawas Same thing happen to my car last time I was driving back from Costco.
- Shandy N Josh Sorenson Our windshield got chipped and then cracked because of that lovely construction too. That glass place on Dublin Blvd. is called Low Price Auto Glass & Tint. That's where we go.
- Maria Cortes I had the same Thing happen to my mothers Car . A piece of debris Ended up in the grill. $1600 worth of damage .
- Barbara Allen Arnerich I also got a huge crack in my windshield last Thursday morning.
- Pete Camacho Yeah my windshield too
- Samantha Johnson I have the same issues and I don't want to pay any more money for their mess!
- Danielle Payne Hanschke Yes! Luckily I don't drive it too often!
- Sherry Medeiros Fell It's a nightmare!
- James Young I live in Livermore, work in Dublin, the problem is worse now, but has been an issue for me for the lat 2.5 years.
- Joanna Kelly It's awful... The short merges are the worst! Maybe after this they can fix the roads between Tracy and Vasco!
- Michelle Munn Allum The short merges are going to kill somebody!! Ever got on the 580 WB at Vasco? You have to deal with cars getting on from the other direction on Vasco where it then meets and dumps you right into oncoming traffic. It's dangerous!
- Julie Bailey Bantley I completely agree that the short mergers are just accidents waiting to happen.
- Kaylee Sorensen Yep I have two huge ones now thanks livermore
- Michele Foster Two cracks on the windshield myself. Friggin hazardous!
- Joyce Solarz I live near where the constitution is going on. It is hard to sleep with all the noise. I hope the are putting up a sound barrier because even without the construction the freeway is a constant noise!!!
- Lori Cach I almost get hit every time I merge onto the freeway forms vasco and north Livermore!! They are way to short and people already on the freeway don't care!!
- Mike Reynolds My windshield has chipped twice going through the construction zones. I sure hope these new lanes improve the commute. Then they need to do something about the 580/680 interchange. What a nightmare.
- Chrissy Schieffer A lot of it is from the potholes crumbling and those flip up when tires hit them. I know in my big rig the 2 lanes on the right make me wonder all over because of how they shaved the road paint. So that probably doesn't help.
- Casey Rae Henshaw I have had numerous issues with traffic and now a crack in my windshield from the construction. I hope it ends soon!
- Sharon Kramer I have cracks in my windshield and dings on my hood and doors!
- Rose Perry My window has been cracked twice. Now my insurance wants their $500 to replace it. I won't do it until I receive a fix it ticket first as I travel the freeway everyday!
- Michelle Mello Gomes 2 new chips on windshield
- Kevin Farris Sure did. Stuff was spitting up in my face while riding my motorcycle
- Melissa Pastorius Lortie 2 chips in the windshield...the 2nd one days after I got the first in fixed...now waiting for construction to be done and hope it doesn't get bigger!
Have you noticed damage on your car due to the construction on the I-580 corridor? Tell us your experiences in the comments section below.