Jheline Demesa, 22, of San Leandro, ate dinner at Ray's Crab Shack on Mowry Avenue, where the waitress mistakenly gave her a credit card from an adjacent table, according to the Newark Police Department.
Instead of returning the card, Demesa allegedly left the restaurant with it, police said.
The real cardholder tried to cancel the credit card a short time later, but learned transactions were made on it at NewPark Mall across the street, Newark police Cmdr. Mike Carroll said.
The victim notified police about the incident at 6:20 p.m., Carroll said.
The restaurant owner managed to find an image of Demesa captured by a surveillance camera inside the eatery and gave it to the victim, who went to the mall to look for her, Carroll said.
The victim and mall security located Demesa then notified police, Carroll said.
Officers arrested Demesa shortly after 8 p.m. on suspicion of commercial burglary and credit card fraud, Carroll said.
Demesa was booked into the Santa Rita Jail, Dublin, police said.
Saturday, Aug. 17
- Domestic assault reported 4:55 a.m. on the 6200 block of Dublin Boulevard.
- Forgery reported 1:50 p.m. along 4400 Tassajara Road.
- Bicyclist injured On Mount Diablo while participating in the Fast Freddie Gran Fondo event.
- Big rig overturns on I-680 in Sunol.
- Vehicles towed for overdue registration: 10:02 a.m. on 7600 Dublin Boulevard; 2:13 p.m. Dublin at village Parkway.
- Shoplifting reported: 9:34 p.m. on 7200 Amador Plaza Road; 3:38 p.m. on 4900 Dublin Boulevard.
- Controlled-substance possession reported 11:02 a.m. on 3100 Finnian Way.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported 1:56 p.m. on 4900 Dublin Boulevard.
- Vandalism: 11 p.m. along 7100 San Ramon Road.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported 9:27 a.m. on the 4000 block of Lockhart Drive.
- Theft: 4:55 p.m. on 7500 Amador Valley Boulevard.
- Vehicles towed: 6:58 a.m. on 7400 Dublin Boulevard; 11:29 a.m. on 4900 Hacienda Drive; 4:24 p.m. Campbell Green and Demarcus Boulevard.
- Dublin man, 52, arrested for local warrant 1:25 p.m. on 7400 Amador Valley Boulevard.
- Object thrown at vehicle called at 9:28 p.m. Alcosta Boulevard and Village Parkway.
- Battery reported on the 12900 block of Alcosta Boulevard 9:22 a.m.
- Misdemeanor hit-and-run on the 2500 Block San Ramon Valley Boulevard 2:01 p.m.
- Motorcyclist injured in morning collision on I-580.
- Pleasanton teen who struck and killed bicyclist on Foothill Road charged with homicide.
- Vehicle reported stolen 12:04 p.m. along 6900 Village Parkway.
- Vandalism/defaced property: 7:34 a.m. along 6900 York Drive; 5:13 p.m. on 6500 Dublin Boulevard.
- Stolen/lost license plate reported on 100 Civic Plaza 6:40 a.m.
- Shoplifting logged 8:14 p.m. on 7200 Regional Street.
- Drug-related arrests 12:38 a.m. on the 8900 block of San Ramon Road of: Danville female, 19, for suspicion of possession of methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia and being under the influence of controlled substances; Danville male, 22, for allegedly being under the influence of controlled substances.
- Vehicles towed for overdue registration: 9:48 a.m. I-580 and Tassajara Road; 11:40 a.m. Dougherty Road at Houston Place; along 7700 Tamarack Drive 12:43 p.m.
- Residential burglary on 10000 Block Alcosta Boulevard 9:41 a.m.
- San Ramon man, 26, dies in plane crash. Story here.
- Burglaries: 7:48 a.m. and 10:45 p.m. on the 11800 and 6600 blocks of Dublin Boulevard.
- Identity theft filed 9:26 a.m. on the 4700 block of Perugia Street.
- Four drug-related arrests 1:14 a.m. along 6800 Amador Plaza Road of: Danville female, 20, for alleged possession and being under the influence of controlled substances, and bringing a controlled substance into a state facility; and a Danville male, 22, a Copperopolis male, 19, and a San Ramon man, 22, for being under the influence of controlled substances.
- Use/influence of controlled substances reported along 8900 San Ramon Road 9:07 p.m.
- Hayward male, 30, arrested for outstanding warrant 9:38 a.m. on 4500 Dublin Boulevard.
- Burglary reported 2:09 p.m. on the 8400 block of Wicklow Lane.
- DUI reported 10:13 p.m. Golden Gate Drive at Dublin Boulevard.
- Motorist cited for false display of registration 7:24 p.m. Wildwood Road at Amador Valley Boulevard.
- Shoplifting: 4:11 p.m. on 6900 Amador Plaza Road.