From Dublin Police Services:
The holidays are a busy time of year when many of us will be busy shopping
and running errands in order to get ready. We must not forget that during
this time of year criminals will also be out and about looking for easy targets.
Therefore, it is very important that we all stay alert during the hectic holiday
Home Safety Tips:
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
- When going on trips or just out for the evening, use automatic timers to turn indoor lights off and on to make it appear you are at home.
- Install automatic timer or sensor lights on the outside of your home.
- When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
- Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
- Be sure your Christmas tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children or elderly persons cannot pull it over on themselves.
- If you use lights on your Christmas tree ensure the wiring is not damaged or frayed. Frayed or damaged wiring can cause a fire.
- Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it green.
- Never place wrapping paper in your fireplace.
- When shopping, park your car in a well-lit area.
- Never place packages on floors or counters or leave them unattended when purchasing additional items.
- Lock your packages and gifts in your vehicle’s trunk. If you have no trunk be certain they are out of sight.
- Parked cars should have all windows tightly closed and all doors locked.
- Always have your car keys readily available in your hand before you walk to your car and scan interior of car to be sure no one is hiding inside.
- Women should carry their purses under their arms and men should carry their wallets in an inside coat pocket or front pant pocket.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Whenever possible, pay for purchases with checks or credit cards.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. Criminals may try various methods of distraction with the intent of taking money or belongings.