Cinco de Mayo is just days away and for those of you looking to throw an authentic Mexican fiesta with a healthful twist for guests, Chef Shell shares her crowd-pleasing recipe for an easy taco salad.
Chef Michele Wieser, also known as Chef Shell the Dinner Belle, shares her recipe for a vegetarian taco salad. Wieser says carnivores will not miss the meat.
- 2 cans of your favorite canned black beans, drained, set aside.
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon of oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of cumin
- Olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
Sautee onion in olive oil for a minute, sprinkle with spices and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Set aside. Cut up a head of red leaf, green leaf, iceberg, or romaine lettuce or a mixture of a few (approximately 8 cups)
- Add one chopped up jalapeno
- One bunch of cilantro chopped
- One English cucumber, diced
- 6 small Campari tomatoes (or approx. 4 cups diced)
- 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
- Black bean mixture
Taco Salad Dressing:
- 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste
Whisk those ingredients first. Add 2/3 cup of olive oil and whisk slowly into first three ingredients. Add salt and pepper (to taste). Toss salad with dressing.
To add extra crunch to the salad, Chef Shell recommends adding some crushed tortilla chips on top after adding the dressing.
Follow Chef Shell's blogs on Patch and watch her videos to get easy, healthful ideas for feeding your family.
- St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef the Chef Shell Way
- Superbowl Guacamole for Game Day
- Chef Shell the Dinner Belle: Fast Holiday Breakfast Idea
- New Year's Eve Appetizer from Chef Shell the Dinner Belle
- Something's Cooking with Chef Shell the Dinner Belle
- Healthy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup from Chef Shell the Dinner Belle