While romantic comedies are preferred for date nights, drama and horror movies are rented more than other genres on Feb. 14, according to a recent Redbox survey.
Surprised? While those surveyed said they picked a romantic comedy 38.8 percent of the time during a normal date night at home, the findings show most people go a little darker on Valentine's Day. The most-rented movies at Redbox over the past six Valentine’s Days are: Paranormal Activity 2, Zombieland, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, No Reservations, Departed and Saw II.
Here are some other movie rental stats:
- Date Nights With Movie Lights: More than six out of 10 Americans, or 61 percent, will be spending Valentine’s Day with a movie.
- Laughter Leads to Love: Romantic comedies top the list as the best movie genre for date night, or 38.8 percent, followed by laugh-out-loud comedies at 24.8 percent and new releases, with 18.5 percent.
- Real-Life Romance: On-screen passion and off-screen romance made Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling the couple to beat, as America voted The Notebook its favorite cinema love story, with 31.8 percent.
- It’s the Thought That Counts: Nearly half of Americans, or 48.3 percent, hope to receive a thoughtful card this Valentine’s Day. Flowers, with 38.7 percent, candy with 23.3 percent, and jewelry with 18.9 percent, round out America’s wish lists.
- From the Heart: Forget fancy dinner reservations this year: more respondents would prefer a homemade meal on Valentine’s Day, at 37.7 percent.
For The Love of Free Movies
Through Feb. 14, movie lovers can send a virtual Valentine’s Day greeting card with a free, one-night DVD rental to a loved one via the Redbox Facebook page.
The one-night DVD rental is good for redemption on Valentine’s Day only. Additionally, Redbox gifts are available for purchase and can be shared via e-mail, text or Facebook.
To find the nearest Redbox location to you go online, or text "FIND" to 727272.