Congressman Jeff Denham was presented with the “Summer 2013 Champion of Seniors Award" by The Grange, a national, nonpartisan grassroots organization that advocates on behalf of America's rural seniors, for his outstanding leadership on behalf of seniors.
Criteria for the award included:
1. Exhibiting outstanding leadership in Congress to protect Medicare, which is critical to millions of American seniors and their families.
2. Opposing across the board cuts made by unelected boards.
3. Ensuring access to affordable prescription medicines for seniors through the Medicare Part D program and opposing any efforts to implement price controls or similar measures that would lead to increases in premiums for seniors.
4. Demonstrating a continued commitment to protect the doctor/patient relationship for seniors and opposing any efforts that might weaken it in any way.
5. Preserving a vast selection of health care options for seniors so that they may choose the best plan for themselves and their families.
6. Representing senior constituents with individual issues before government agencies so that they receive the benefits and services they have earned.
7. Supporting government services and necessary funding for senior programs in the Representative’s district.
Congressman Denham has received the award for his unwavering efforts to protect the health benefits and security of California’s seniors and citizens with disabilities. Congressman Denham was presented the award during a ceremony at the City of Modesto Senior Citizens Center, along with California Senior Advocates League, Stanislaus County Area Agency on Aging, Red Hat Society Scarlet Sparklers, Stanislaus County Commission on Aging and the Department of Aging & Veterans Services.
“America’s seniors rely on those we elect to protect us,” said California Senior Advocates League President, John Kehoe. “The benefits and rights of seniors are under attack every year and we applaud Congressman Denham for taking on these challenging issues and vigorously defending our interests.”
“Congressman Denham has exhibited outstanding leadership in Congress to protect Medicare and ensure access to affordable prescription medicines and health care choices for seniors. He has definitely earned this award and deserves our thanks,” said Grace Boatright, Legislative Director for The National Grange.
About The Grange:
Established in 1867, The National Grange is the nation’s oldest nonprofit, nonpartisan rural advocacy organization that advocates and educates on behalf of America’s farmers, ranchers, and other rural Americans. More information available at www.nationalgrange.org.